In fact, what better way to honor him than by recognizing, in no particular order and of no particular degree of importance, ten awesome things about my dad.
- To this day and without hesitation, he will exuberantly skip in the most public of places to inspire a smile (or maybe eve just because).
- He had his jaw broken in a fight on the Sleepy Hollow bridge when we was a teenager.
- His wardrobe still consists primarily of tye-dye t-shirts.
- He has no middle name.
- He proposed to my mother in a bowl of black jelly beans, and the two are still the perfect pair nearly 50 years later.
- He is an expert in fly-tying, Texas Hold ’em, and the art of losing his keys, wallet, and/or phone at least three times a day.
- My knowledge of all the latest TMZ gossip and earthquake occurrences are products of his text messages.
- A taste of his guacamole changes lives.
- He wrote a song for me and my brother that is, by far, more eloquent and beautiful than any traditional children’s lullaby.
- Writing literally saved his life as his ability to type enabled him to avoid front line combat in Vietnam.
And, for good measure, one more I learned today…
11. His favorite cereal is, ironically, Kellogg’s Corn Pops.